Phillips and Clark Stove Company
In 1885 the firm of G. H. Phillips & Co. moved from Troy to Geneva, and soon thereafter a proposition was made to organize a company for the manufacture of stoves on an extensive scale.
Local capitalists hesitated about entering into the enterprise, but after a short time a stock company with $100,000 capital was incorporated. The Phillips interests expressed a willingness to take a $75,000 of the stock, a fact considered quite surprising at the time, but Mr. Phillips was experienced in business and saw grand possibilities to be attained with works at Geneva.
The necessary buildings were at once erected and the company began business; and it is a fact that this is by far the largest and best paying industry now operating in Geneva. The works employ about 250 men, while the output of stoves is about 100 per day. The officers of the company are: George H. Phillips, president and manager; F. 0. Mason, vice.president; E. B. Webster, secretary; W. A. Clark, treasurer; L. S. Phillips, superintendent."